Thursday, September 27, 2012

Perspective


My dear friend, Jennifer, has a daughter (Jessa) who is battling Leukemia for the second time...she is only 12 years old.  Let me back up a little...I remember when Jessa was first diagnosed at age 3.  That was before I was married and long before my two boys came along.  But, Jennifer & I had worked together as Child Life Specialists for years and we had seen our share of kids with cancer.  Most of them made it, others did not.

So, when Jessa was diagnosed with Leukemia it seemed beyond unfair to me.  How could my dear friend, who had given so many years of her life to helping other children and their parents cope with this awful disease, now be facing it as the mother of a patient?  I will never understand how life can sometimes be so cruel to such wonderful people.

Jennifer has been keeping an online journal of Jessa's treatments since her relapse & that is what I want to share with you.  Her most recent post is a must-read for all of us moms.  Jennifer's ability to stay optimistic, even with everything they are facing, is truly inspirational.  Her posts give me the reality check that is needed when you are knee-deep into raising a toddler & Preschooler while working full-time...the "crisis du jour" that I might think I have in my daily mom life is nothing compared to what she is going through.

Any prayers, encouragement, positive vibes or thoughts would be much appreciated for this family.  I am waiting anxiously for the day when Jennifer posts that Jessa is completely cancer free!  If you want to keep up with Jessa's road to a cure, you can follow her on her CarePages site.

http://www.carepages.com/carepages/JessaSalvador/updates/3391651

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Thanks for sharing. I definitely prayed for them this morning. I never want to have to experience anything like this. The take home message for me was ,"acknowledge their daily successes and attempts, not perfection" I am so guilty of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There are so many days that I feel like I fall short on my mothering skills. I am certainly a "work in progress". I'm glad you liked the post. Jennifer has been such an inspiration to me & I just had to share her story.

    ReplyDelete