Wednesday, May 5, 2010

another one

We found out today that Carter has another bilateral ear infection. The only reason I took him in was that yesterday he was guarding his left ear when I went to put sunscreen on him. He has had a cold the past few days and didn't go to "school" on Monday, but kept denying that his ears hurt & he hasn't had a fever.

This is his third infection in six months, so we are starting to talk tubes. I'll take him back in two weeks to see if it has cleared on the Omnicef, but even still our Pediatrician thinks it is worth considering the tubes. She thinks he may just be used to his ears hurting so often that he has been compensating for it longer than we realize. Plus, I would rather do the tubes than have him build up a resistance to the antibiotics we are needing to use so frequently. Anyway, it won't hurt to have an Ear/Nose/Throat consult and see what they think. We will wait to make any decisions until our follow up appt.

I just feel so badly for him, it has to be miserable to be hurting like that (according to Sean who had a ton of ear infections as a child). He is such a good boy at the doctor's office and always sits still during his exam, never cries & then politely asks for a sticker (the nurses have spoiled him) when we leave. I am so proud of him--what a big boy! Side note: Dr. A was impressed by Carter's vocabulary and clarity of speech for a 2 1/2 year old. I held back from bragging to her that he has known the alphabet for months now & can count to 20 & knows how to use a Phillips head screwdriver better than I do...because I'm sure she gets tired of those moms! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment