Tuesday, June 15, 2010

SS Jeremiah O'Brien

This WW II naval ship is docked at Fisherman's Wharf and was one of Sean's favorite parts of our trip. I enjoyed it...but the most fun was watching Sean tour the ship, especially the engine room (I kept calling it the boiler room & he kept correcting me.). He was like a kid in a candy store seeing how the pistons and whatever worked. This particular ship is still fully functional, so that part was even more fascinating.

The super steep stairs/ladder all the way into the bottom of the ship. Kind of creepy.


I think this is one of the greasy pistons.

Another view of the engine room.















Beautiful view of San Francisco in the background.


Parts of this ship were used in scenes of the movie "Titanic". The bottom photograph here shows how they used the engine room in the movie. Pretty cool!




By far, my favorite part of the entire ship was this sign hanging in the engine room. I told Sean I was going to blow this up & put it in his cube at work. Welcome to my life!
















No comments:

Post a Comment