Wednesday, December 16, 2009

ER visit #2

After over two years with no ER visits for Carter, we have had our second visit in one week! Not the kind of stats I am proud to report. On Saturday morning, I noticed blood in Davis's diaper & called the pediatrician. Since they don't have office hours on the weekend, I spoke to the triage nurse who wanted me to take him to the ER right away. I was happy to wait & see if it would happen again because he was eating fine, peeing fine and acting fine. There was nothing of concern to me other than the blood. When it happened again, I knew we had to take him in just to make sure it wasn't something serious.

After three hours in the ER and some lab tests, it was determined that Davis has a milk protein allergy. We put him on soy formula to see if that would take care of it. However, a large percentage of kiddos who have a milk protein allergy are also allergic to soy. If that happens with Davis, he will need to be started on a milk & soy-free formula that is EXPENSIVE!!! Hopefully, that is not the case. So far, he seems to be tolerating the soy ok. We are going in for follow-up on Friday so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment